Dragon Age: Inquisition Guide To Mage Specializations
Once players have progressed enough through Dragon Age: Inquisition, you can have specializations. Here’s what you can choose as a mage.
You Are Reading :Dragon Age Inquisition Guide To Mage Specializations
Once players have progressed enough through Dragon Age: Inquisition to have gained access to Skyhold, a new war table operation will become available to them called “Specializations for the Inquisitor”. Completing this operation will invite three trainers to Skyhold, each of which will offer to teach you their individual specializations.
Specializations are sub-classes for the chosen class of the Inquisitor, and for those who have chosen a mage, they can pick between the following specializations: Knight-Enchanter, Necromancer, or Rift Mage. For help on deciding which specialization would be the right fit for your Inquisitor mage and guides on how to complete the required quests, we’ve got all the information you need just below.
Where to Find the Mage Trainers
The three mage specialization trainers can be found just in front of the main gate in Skyhold, in the lower courtyard. Commander Helaine offers the Knight-Enchanter role, Viuus Annaxas offers the Necromancer role, and Your Trainer offers the Rift Mage role.
Players are able to speak to all three trainers and undertake all three quests, however, they can only complete one and only receive one specialization. Be careful that the first quest you hand in is the specialization that you really want because after you complete one, you will be unable to complete either of the other quests.
Way of the Knight-Enchanter
- NPC: Commander Helaine
- Specialization: Knight-Enchanters are a special kind of mage given dispensation from the Chantry to allow them to serve in battle. These mages can summon blades from the Fade and they excel at defensive spells.
- Quest: Commander Helaine requests that you craft a hilt that is capable of holding a spirit blade, as well as requests that you study the methods of how you would wield a spirit blade before they will make you a Knight-Enchanter. Players must collect a specific codex, acquire three wisp essences, gather some crafting materials, and then craft the hilt and give it to Commander Helaine in order to unlock the Knight-Enchanter specialization.
Firstly, you must pick up the Writing on Knight-Enchanter methods that unlocks the codex entry “Way of the Knight-Enchanter”, which can be found on the table near Vivienne in Skyhold. Alternatively, it can be purchased from the merchant Willvan in Val Royeaux if Vivienne was not recruited.
Next, players need to travel to the Fallow Mire in order to collect three wisp essences. These items can be obtained by defeating wisps in the following locations: Old Thoroughfare, the Weeping Spires, and Granite Point, all of which are marked on the map above. Alternatively, if you have the Short List perk, there is a chance that the merchant Barnabus in Val Royeaux will stock wisp essences. If he doesn’t have them in stock, leave the area and then re-enter in order to refresh his stock. There is also a chance that wraiths encountered at rifts may drop them too.
After this, players need to collect 20 Lazurite, which can be found in the Western Approach and the Hissing Wastes, or obtained from the war table operation “Hissing Wastes Resources” if you send Cullen or Josephine. Additionally, they can be purchased from the Black Emporium, which is available via free DLC.
Once you have collected all of the required items, you can craft the hilt at any requisition table and then take it to Commander Helaine to become a Knight-Enchanter.
The Way of the Necromancer
- NPC: Viuus Anaxas
- Specialization: Necromancers specialize in binding spirits, making the phantoms fight on their behalf on the battlefield and they can cause explosions when their enemies are felled.
- Quest: Viuus Anaxas asks you to adorn a skull with jewels and to study the art of necromancy before they will show you how to become a Necromancer yourself. Players must collect a specific codex, acquire three Nevarran skulls, gather some crafting materials, and then craft the jeweled skull to give to Viuus Anaxas in order to prove themselves.
First and foremost, be sure to pick up the Writing on necromancy that unlocks the codex entry “Way of the Necromancer”. This can be found in front of Dorian’s chair in the library in Skyhold or purchased from the merchant Willvan in Val Royeaux.
Next, players need to travel to the Storm Coast in order to collect three Nevarran skulls. The skulls you need can be found by looting skeleton heaps found at the following locations: Apostate’s Landing, Small Grove, and Storm’s Solitude. All locations are marked on the map above. Alternatively, if you have the Short List perk, the Village of Crestwood merchant might stock the skulls. You can refresh their inventory by leaving the map and re-entering it if they don’t have the skulls listed.
Then players need to collect 20 Bloodstones, which can be found in the Emerald Graves and Emprise du Lion, or obtained from the war table operation “Emprise du Lion Resources” if Cullen or Josephine is sent. Additionally, Bloodstone can be purchased from the Black Emporium.
The Way of the Rift Mage
- NPC: Your Trainer
- Specialization: Rift Mages are able to draw on the power of the Fade, using it to attack enemies by pulling matter through the Veil onto enemies, or using the Veil itself to crush enemies.
- Quest: Your Trainer asks you to craft a tome of rifts and study rift magic before they are willing to teach you how to become a Rift Mage. Players must collect a specific codex, acquire three Venatori tomes, gather some crafting materials, and then craft the tome of rifts to give to Your Trainer.
Firstly, players need to collect the Writing on rift magic that unlocks the codex entry “Way of the Rift Mage”, which can be found on the table in Solas’s room in Skyhold or purchased from the merchant Willvan in Val Royeaux.
Next, you need to travel to the Exalted Plains in order to find three Venatori tomes. These items can be looted from defeated Venatori, with Venatori spawning at the following locations: Ghilan’nain’s Grove, Halin’sulahn, and the Desolate Bank, all of which are marked on the map above. Players might find they have to revisit more than once to respawn the Venatori in order to find enough tomes. Additionally, there are player reports of Venatori in any map area dropping the required tomes. Alternatively, if you have the Short List perk, the Griffon Wing Keep merchant in the Western Approach may randomly stock them, and you can refresh their stock by leaving the area and then re-entering.
Next, you’ll need to gather 20 Ring Velvet, which is a common drop from any Venatori and Freemen of the Dales enemies found in the Exalted Plains. Alternatively, the war table operation “Gather Cloth” can be used to send Josephine to retrieve Ring Velvet.
Once you have all of the required items, you can craft the tome of rifts at any requisition table and then hand it to Your Trainer to unlock the Rift Mage specialization.